David J. Hixon
15437 Eagle Tavern Lane
Centreville, Virginia 22020
Ten years in management with increasing levels of responsibility
up to project management. Over fifteen years in systems engineering
involving spacecraft, missions, communications, and operations.
Experience in the fields of electronics, flight simulation, computer
systems and programming, communications, and training in the aerospace
and communications industries.
- Project and task management with strong written and oral communications
- Strong conceptual, organization, analytical, and problem solving
- Strong interpersonal skills with ability to work independently
- Trouble shooting management and improving business processes
- Interacting with customers to define changes and resolve problems
- Identifying new opportunities to add value to customer's business
- Ability to research , document, and analyze data
- Requirements and specifications definition
- Systems and mission engineering, analysis, and design
- Integration, verification, testing, operation, and training
- Proposal preparation and cost estimation
- Mission and product assurance and safety
- Proficient computer skills including MS Office suite, data
base, and management
B.S. in Physics, University of California at Los Angeles
M.S. in Scientific and Engineering Management (Systems), West
Numerous technical and management professional development courses
including the California Institute of Technology's Engineering
Global Science and Technology
Senior System Engineer
- Generated the Systems Engineering and Program
Management plans for NASA's EOSDIS Program. Evaluated overall
management decision-making cost estimation processes and made
recommendations for improvements.
- Wrote and evaluated proposals for NASA's smaller,
better, faster, low-cost projects. Supported development of Goddard
Space Flight Center programs to automate and improve ground stations,
mission operations, and data systems.
Jet Propulsion Laboratory
Project Manager (MTS-7) - Space Stations
- Directed the definition, planning, development,
and technical management of program safety requirements and assessments
working with NASA, other U.S. government agencies, industry, and
- Directed personnel from NASA, industry, and international
partners in analyzing telerobotics designs and related programmatic
issues. Results influenced major decisions regarding NASA's future
direction in satellite servicing.
- Managed a Program-wide audit of the communications
and tracking system which resulted in major system design improvements
and a projected ten-year cost savings of nearly $500 million.
Served as the deputy director of the Communications Systems Office.
- Received a NASA Achievement Award for successfully
blending a variety of complex factors into the Program Requirements
Document to provide overall direction to the program.
Group Supervisor - Advanced Mission Engineering
- Planned, organized, staffed, and managed the
activities of twenty engineers on twelve different projects including
both advanced studies and flight projects.
Mission Engineer and Team Chief - Magellan
- Led Magellan science, mission, and system analyses
and trade studies. Received NASA Achievement Award and letters
of commendation for developing the Magellan mission plans and
science requirements and for conducting a major program review.
- Staffed and managed the Magellan Mission Sequence
and Design Team. Designed missions operations and software sequencing
and the ground data system.
Task Manager/Lead Engineer - Spacecraft
- Defined system and subsystem requirements for
advanced spacecraft designs. Controlled interface designs, analyzed
and integrated systems, and designed and managed spacecraft configurations
and the end-to-end information system.
- Managed a multi-disciplinary team developing
a spacecraft design synthesis program. Performed supporting research
and advanced development in system design and systems engineering
techniques to establish a better standard for future projects.
Rockwell International - Space Division
Systems Engineer and Mission Analyst
- Defined overall system requirements, analyzed
mission and systems operations, led trade studies, conducted systems
integration, and developed parts of a major DoD proposal.
- Defined system requirements, analyzed and integrated
system designs, planned mission operations, and analyzed programmatic
issues for the Space Station program.
- Developed mission traffic models, cargo manifests,
and flight schedules for the Space Transportation System to support
Space Station operations. Developed software analysis tools for
trade studies, parametric analyses, and systems modeling optimization.
Avionics Systems Engineer - Space Shuttle
- Designed and analyzed highly redundant computer-controlled
avionics systems, using digital data transmission techniques,
for the Shuttle launch and control functions. Evaluated supplier
proposals, defined systems interface requirements, and integrated
avionics hardware and software. Cognizant engineer for the development
of the software requirements for the backup guidance, navigation,
and flight control and for the testing of major flight elements.
Electronics and Communications Training
- While earning college degrees, I worked as a
computer and electronics technician for various companies supporting
both government and commercial programs. This included digital
and analog computing systems, various RF systems, and communications